In This Edition
Are You Missing Important School Communications? (Opt In For School Text Messages, Update Your Contact Information), LAST DAY for Yearbook Back To School Special, School Fees, 7th Grade Student Council Elections, Maeser Mock Trial Team, Come Plant Your Flag! 9/11 Flag Memorial Fundraiser, Stakeholder Input On Maeser’s ARP ESSER Plan, Sterling Scholar Award Program For Seniors, Don’t Forget To Report Your Volunteer Hours, Sports Announcements (Sports Academic Eligibility, Sports Physicals, Fall Sports Guide, Ultimate Frisbee), Counseling Announcements (New Website, IMPORTANT Concurrent Enrollment Information, Middle School Sports Schedule Changes
Front Office Hours
Upcoming Dates and Deadlines
TODAY: Friday, August 20
LAST DAY to Purchase Your Student’s Yearbook at the Back To School Special Price! Cost goes up tomorrow — don’t miss this sale!
Monday, August 23
8am All-School Assembly – please remind your student to go straight to the gym at 8am and sit with their grade
7th Grade Student Council Elections
Friday, August 27
First semester and full-year class fees charged to student accounts (due Thursday, October 7)
9am First Mock Trial Training Session in room 205
Friday, September 10
9am-1pm 9/11 Flag Memorial Fundraiser in front of the school
Monday, September 13
School Picture Day – remember to wear full dress!
Thursday, October 7
Fee Deadline: Annual student fees, Winterim, Graduation, first semester and full-year class fees. Late fee ($15) after this date.
Are You Missing Important School Communications?
Not getting our emails, phone or text messages? Here’s how to make sure you’re getting all of our important announcements and information:
Opt In For School Text Messages
Our school utilizes the SchoolMessenger system to deliver text messages to your mobile phone with important information about events, school closings, safety alerts, student fees, and more. We will only use text messaging for urgent and important information.
You can participate in this service by sending a text message of “Y” or “Yes” to our school’s short code number, 67587. You can also opt out of text messages at any time by simply replying to one of our messages with “Stop”.
Update Your Contact Information
If any of your contact information has changed – email address, mailing address, phone number – please let us know asap so we can be sure you’re getting school and teacher communications.
Thank you for helping us keep in contact with your family!
LAST DAY for Yearbook Back To School Special
TODAY — Friday, August 20 — is the LAST DAY to purchase your student’s yearbook at the Back To School Special price: only $46.62, the lowest price of the year!
Also expiring at the end of the day today (Friday, August 20): Get four free icons (valued at $15.00) when you upgrade the cover by adding your student’s name for $6.50.
More than a yearbook, it’s a celebration of your student and their one-of-a-kind year. The cost goes up tomorrow — don’t miss this sale! Yearbook orders are placed directly through Jostens online: Purchase A Maeser Yearbook.
Your student’s Annual Student Fee, Winterim Fee & Graduation Fee (if applicable) have already been charged to his/her account. Their year-long class fees (incl. AP guides & AP exams) and first semester class fees will be added to their account after school on the class add/drop deadline on Friday, August 27. You may pay some of the fees now or wait to pay them when they have all been charged. These fees are due by October 7 to avoid a $15 late fee.
Important information about student fees at Maeser:
- For detailed information about fee amounts, deadlines, and policies, please see the 2021-22 Fee Schedule and Spend Plan.
- Student Fees, Winterim, Graduation and most class fees are eligible for payment plans. If you’d like to request a payment plan, please contact the Finance Office at firstname.lastname@example.org after August 27 and before October 7. Late fees will apply for late or missing payment plan payments.
- AP exam fees, PE uniforms and extracurricular fees are not eligible for payment plans; they must be paid in full by their respective deadlines.
- Fees and due dates for extracurricular activities, field trips, etc. vary and will be posted. Fees must be paid in full before your student participates.
- Extracurricular fees are non-refundable after the payment deadline, even if your student subsequently chooses not to participate or loses eligibility according to the Maeser Activities Eligibility Policy. Students are not eligible for extracurricular activities if they have outstanding fees.
- For the 2021-22 school year: Students will not automatically be eligible for refunds for extracurricular activities if their season is disrupted due to COVID-19. Maeser may consider granting partial refunds on a case-by-case activity basis.
- Your student’s account will be charged later in the school year for Re-Enrollment (due Thursday, December 2) and second semester class fees (due Thursday, February 24). You will be notified when these fees are charged. The Re-Enrollment Fee may not be added to a payment plan but second semester class fees may be added.
- A late fee of up to $15 may be assessed for each late payment and for outstanding balances.
- If you are having trouble paying your student’s fees, please stop by or email the Finance Office at email@example.com as soon as possible so we can make arrangements.
- Fee waivers are available based on eligibility. To discuss a fee waiver, please stop by or email the Finance Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your student’s fees, please stop by or email the Finance Office at email@example.com.
- Please be sure to opt in for school text messages and keep your contact information current with the front office so you can receive notices about fees and deadlines. To opt in for text messages, please send a text with “Y” or “Yes” to the number 67587.
7th Grade Student Council Elections
Elections for 7th grade officers will be held on August 23rd-26th. Contact Mz. for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Maeser Mock Trial Team
Maeser will be sponsoring Mock Trial teams for both the High School and Middle School again this year. We are looking to expand our numbers and invite students who are interested to attend our first training session on August 27 at 9am in Room 205. We are looking for an additional Attorney / Coach to help out this year. If you are an active or retired Attorney or are currently in law school, we would love to have your assistance this year. Great opportunity for service hours and a wonderful experience with our talented Maeser students. Please contact Mr. Geary for more information: email@example.com.
Come Plant Your Flag! 9/11 Flag Memorial Fundraiser
On Friday, September 10, our student council will be holding a 9/11 Flag Memorial Fundraiser from 9am to 1pmm in front of the school. Proceeds will be donated to local fire departments and first responders. You can purchase flags to plant outside of the school as part of the display for $1 each –buy four flags and receive another free! Flags can be purchased in the front office until Friday, September 10; your purchased flags will be distributed during the event on Friday, September 10.
Stakeholder Input On Maeser’s ARP ESSER Plan
Maeser is seeking input on our plan for utilizing money from the American Rescue Plan Act. The plan is below. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to submit your feedback.
Allotment is $190,750, to expend by Sep 2023.
To address learning loss:
$40,000 for teacher salary and benefits for stipends for after school math and writing labs.
Upgrade computer lab to iMacs – $65,000
Classroom Audio Upgrades – $65,000
Upgrade chromebooks and teacher laptops – $20,750
Sterling Scholar Award Program For Seniors
If you are a senior, and you’d like a chance to win the prestigious Sterling Scholar Award at the school- or region-level, please email Mr. Kreitzer at email@example.com. We will have an official meeting later in the Fall to help you begin work on your portfolios.
Don’t Forget to Report Your Volunteer Hours!
Report your volunteer hours once you’ve dropped off your donation: Report Parent Service Hours. Each $5 spent for donations counts as one hour of volunteer service!
Sports Academic Eligibility
Eligibility for participation in any sports/activities during the 1st term of the 2021-2022 school year will be based on 4th term grades. Students (7th-12th) must earn a 2.7 GPA with no Fs/NGs. In addition, high school students cannot have any Fs/NGs/Incompletes from previous high school terms. If the F/NG/Incomplete is made up by the beginning of the sports season they will be able to participate.
All students (middle school and high school) who will be playing sports this year need a physical in order to play. Here is a link to the UHSAA form which Maeser uses for ALL athletes: UHSAA Physical Form
Fall Sports Guide
For a list of the fall sports that are available at Maeser for both MS and HS students, click here: 2021 Maeser Fall Sports Guide. The Fall Sports Guide includes whether the team is boys, girls, or coed, if there is summer training, when tryouts are, who the coach is, and the coach’s contact information, if it is available.
Maeser Ultimate Frisbee (all grades)
Maeser has a great Ultimate Frisbee program, and we’d love to have you play! Boys and girls, grades 7 through 12. For more information about how to join, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are excited to share with you our new counseling website: https://www.maesercounseling.com!
You can find all the information about counseling, scheduling resources, college and career information, scholarships, opportunities, planning ahead, calendar information,student wellness and the counselors’ podcasts.
IMPORTANT Concurrent Enrollment Information
Students enrolling in BYU-I classes or CE UVU classes this fall, be sure to enroll at BYU-I and register for your class! Here is the link for all the information you will need: Concurrent Enrollment Information.
Middle School Sports Schedule Changes
Students that try out for and make a sports team do not need to submit a schedule change request. Coaches will give Ms. Sorenson a roster and she will make the necessary changes.