Dear Maeser Faculty, Staff, Students, and Families,
As a community coming together to support one another in such honorable work is truly a great endeavor. With the evolving COVID-19 situation, our state is rapidly addressing the needs of all Utahns and Maeser is doing its part for our students. As of this afternoon, we have been given specific instructions on the rapidly evolving situation and our next steps.
For the next two weeks, all Utah schools are on School Dismissal. That does not mean what you may think. It means that we will be moving to remotely educating the majority of our students with an open campus that will serve a limited number of students who do not have computer access at home or who have specific educational plans and services that have been outlined in an individualized educational plan (IEP). Essentially, your student will still be in school but attending from home in most cases. Campus will have designated hours for students to come and pick up paper/pencil packets if requested in this format and obtain needed materials from their lockers if needed.
Monday and Tuesday, March 16-17, will be Teacher Work Days prepping to move to this remote platform. Most of your students will know how to access the Google Classroom and PowerSchool already; however, further instructions by Maeser email will be sent to them. The plan is that on Wednesday, March 18th students will be expected to do the following:
- Log in remotely and start completing assignments.
- Those without computer access will be given open lab appointment times to access computers from campus.
- Those students who receive special services related to their IEP will be given classroom time on campus to complete their work.
- Students who need support labs will be given lab times that will be available on campus for those support labs to receive additional help in relation to math, science, and writing.
- Attendance will be tracked or monitored by checking in at appropriate times with the teachers.
- Precise directions and times for these services will be part of our planning next week. Stay tuned for more emails.
- Work daily to read, study, complete problems, write, complete assessments, etc.
- Parents may be needed to proctor tests of your students.
- Assignments need to be uploaded by due dates.
- Guardians/parents should be added to your student’s Google classroom to increase transparency and support during this change in placement.
We know you will have lots of questions. Our team is committed to Maeser’s students and will do what is necessary to support them. We will send updates on Monday after our training as we refine our plan.
Maeser Administration & Board of Directors